Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sweet Wheat Dinner Rolls

So, I have been learning to bake bread from scratch without the assistance of a bread machine since our super old budget bread machine broke! We have decided as a family that we are not going to get another bread machine. Instead, we hope some day to be able to afford a heavy-duty stand mixer.

Anyways, I use to make the absolute most delicious buns in the world in with the assistance of our bread machine, and until today, I had not been able to get anything even close in my opinion. Today I think I achieved success! Here is my recipe!

Sweet Wheat Dinner Rolls

1 cup warm water
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons bread machine or quick yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
all purpose flour as necessary

Pour 1 cup of warm water into a bowl. (I simply used room temperature water, but it was 86 in the kitchen.) Add the brown sugar and yeast and stir to mix. It is not necessary to completely dissolve the yeast. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes

Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1 cup of whole wheat flour. Stir vigorously until the mixture sheets to form a sponge.

Add about 1 cup of white flour. Stir in to form a loose dough. Dump onto a smooth surface. Knead briefly adding more white flour as necessary to keep it from being too sticky. At the same time do not add too much! The dough should still be slightly sticky, but smooth when you stop kneading. I probably kneaded for about 4 minutes and maybe added 3/4 cup extra flour, but it was very humid here! I imagine I'll add less to future batches on drier days.

Grease the dough ball with soft butter, and place it in a large bowl covered with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise at least 2 hours. (It was very hot here. In the winter, I may wait 3.)

Shape the dough into round buns. Place them on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Cover with a towel, and let rise for another hour. (Longer in cold weather.)

Bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment