Thursday, August 8, 2013

Citrus Poppy Seed Biscuits

Today, I developed this variation of my classic spiky biscuits. The have a crunchy exterior and tender crumb and a mix of butter & canola oil adds some healthy fats. The citrus is obvious without being too tart. They are not a sweet biscuit but not exactly savory either. Next time, I may try sweetening them up a bit with a sprinkle of coarse sugar before baking.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (I use jarred.)
1 teaspoon grated orange rind (Again, I use jarred. I think it has more flavor than freshly grated.)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup 2% milk
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon honey

Preheat your oven to 450 F. Whisk the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, sugar, rinds and salt together in a bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the milk, oil and honey. Stir just until the dry ingredients are all moistened.

Scoop dough onto a baking sheet to form seven medium biscuits. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.

1 comment: