Thursday, June 6, 2013

Time Management

I have been working on a time management project this week. I am pretty unhappy that I can't accomplish more each day. Everyone in my family tells me that I work harder than anyone should, but I never feel that is true. I always feel like if I just pushed harder, I could do enough.

So, I am trying to approach the problem logically. I am tracking my time sort of like I track my food. I have had some revelations. The first is that my income isn't consistent. I work pretty close to eight hours every day, and my income varies from between $55 and $100 for that period. Also, working eight hours with everything else on my plate really stresses me. Ideally I would work six hours five days a week. Unfortunately that isn't an option right now. I am working eight hours five days a week, 4 hours the sixth, and 2 hours the seventh. We are not quite making ends meet. The reality is not matching up with the ideal.

The second is that I spend way to much time preparing food. I don't even like cooking. I don't regularly cook for my whole family. Yet, I spend an average of four hours each day dedicated to preparing and eating foods and beverages. I have some ideas about how to reduce this. They cost money.

Everything else seems OK. I spend about an hour a day on laundry. That isn't bad when there are five of us, and I hang everything to dry and need to assist the washer which works poorly. I spend about an hour a day doing housework, mostly dishes. Lia and JoAnn help a lot with the other things. Ant has been doing a great job with the yard work. I love looking outside now. I keep my personal care time down to 30 minutes, and my walk takes an average of 30 minutes. (Longer with nice weather and super short today when it was raining!)

No comments:

Post a Comment